Trump Threatens 'Economic D-Day' for Iran as Sanctions Push Extends Six-Month-Old Conflict Further
President Trump escalates sanctions against Iran, aiming to force Tehran to comply with U.S. demands as military and diplomatic efforts falter.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is expanding his economic pressure campaign against Iran, betting that intensified sanctions and financial restrictions can succeed where military strikes and diplomacy have so far failed to force Tehran to accept U.S. demands, as the conflict between the two countries enters its seventh month.
Trump announced what he described as the "most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country" against Iran, according to CNBC, warning that any nation providing financial or commercial assistance to Tehran would face severe consequences. Speaking during a meeting with cryptocurrency executives at the White House on Aug. 19, Trump characterized the planned campaign as an "Economic D-Day" for Iran, extending a pressure effort the administration has waged since April under the internal designation Operation Economic Fury.
The shift toward economic pressure comes as other avenues for ending the conflict have stalled. According to NPR, U.S. stockpiles of key munitions have dwindled and stop-start diplomatic talks between Washington and Tehran have once again broken down, prompting Trump to return to what the outlet described as a familiar playbook of financial sanctions rather than continued military escalation. Trump has previously said he began the war with Iran only after 50 years of economic pressure had failed to halt the country's nuclear ambitions, but he is now betting that a renewed financial squeeze can bring the conflict to a close.
According to Bloomberg, the administration's approach centers on a steady increase in economic sanctions combined with a naval blockade aimed at stifling Iran's oil exports, reflecting a broader recognition within the administration that the military campaign against Iran has so far failed to force the regime to capitulate. Options reportedly under consideration include targeting Chinese banks involved in Iranian oil transactions, expanding secondary sanctions on countries or entities doing business with Tehran, and potentially confiscating Iranian assets held under U.S. jurisdiction, according to reporting from News Talk WBAP.
CNN reported that the U.S. imposed new sanctions on Hezbollah as part of the broader pressure campaign, even as the outlet cautioned that unless the administration develops new methods to quickly cut off Tehran's revenue streams, it will likely once again confront a regime well-practiced in evading sanctions. According to CNN, Iran has spent decades building a complex network of front companies, largely tied to China, to procure essential goods for its 92 million citizens, while also developing methods to continue exporting oil using fleets of sanctioned "dark" tankers that disable their tracking systems to transfer cargo to other vessels before ultimately delivering it to Beijing, Iran's principal oil customer.
Iran's response to the escalating economic threats has been defiant. The Iranian Foreign Ministry condemned Trump's threat as "unlawful," according to CNN, warning in a statement that those who order or implement the sanctions "are liable to prosecution and punishment." Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps separately warned it could deploy more "destructive" weapons should the broader conflict resume in earnest, according to Iranian state media cited by CNN.
Some Iranian officials have responded to the intensified pressure by calling for even more dramatic countermeasures. Iranian member of parliament Ebrahim Rezaei suggested Iran should consider withdrawing from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in response to Trump's economic escalation. "The best response to Trump's escalation of the economic war is to withdraw from the NPT," Rezaei said, according to Time. Iran signed the treaty in 1968 and ratified it in 1970, committing as a non-nuclear-weapon state not to manufacture or acquire nuclear weapons, a commitment that would be directly called into question should the country follow through on withdrawing from the agreement.
The escalating economic pressure has already produced tangible ripple effects across the region. Time reported that the United Arab Emirates, a major regional trading hub for Iran, announced it would suspend trade with Tehran following reported missile strikes, a decision that came just one day before Trump's latest threat of a "crushing" economic campaign.
Vice President JD Vance has emphasized that economic pressure represents the administration's most viable current strategy for ending the conflict, according to CNN, even as officials have simultaneously stressed the importance of keeping oil and gas prices affordable for American consumers, a balancing act that has grown more difficult as prices have climbed amid continued disruption to shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump has consistently maintained that he is not operating under any specific timeline for resolving the conflict, despite the mounting economic and political costs associated with its continuation. "I have no time schedule. I'm not in a hurry," Trump said, according to World Israel News, a stance he has repeated even as U.S. borrowing costs have climbed to their highest levels in nearly two decades and oil prices have risen amid the ongoing disruption.
The political costs of the prolonged conflict appear to be mounting domestically as Trump approaches the 2026 midterm elections. According to News Talk WBAP, a Reuters/Ipsos survey found Trump's approval rating at 33%, the lowest level of his presidency, with roughly 80% of respondents saying they expected U.S. involvement in the conflict with Iran to continue for an extended period.
The Trump administration's underlying strategic bet is that Iran's worsening economy and domestic unrest will eventually force Tehran back to the negotiating table on terms more favorable to Washington. Iran, according to News Talk WBAP, appears to be making the opposite calculation, betting instead that the United States will ultimately face greater political and economic costs from a prolonged conflict than Iran itself will, particularly given the toll an unpopular and costly war has taken on both U.S. public opinion and military resources.
This latest pressure campaign builds on a broader pattern established earlier in Trump's second term. The administration had already reinstated its "maximum pressure" policy on Iran in February 2025, according to Radio Farda, directing the Treasury Department to impose maximum economic pressure through sanctions and enforcement mechanisms targeting individuals and entities violating existing sanctions, with an explicit goal of driving Iran's oil exports to zero. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent reinforced that objective in subsequent remarks, telling the Economic Club of New York that the administration intended to shut down Iran's oil industry entirely and cut off Tehran's access to the international financial system.
As the conflict continues without a clear resolution in sight, both sides appear increasingly committed to a war of economic attrition, with Washington wagering that sustained financial pressure will eventually break Tehran's resistance, and Iran betting that its historical resilience to sanctions, built over decades of prior U.S. and international pressure campaigns, will allow it to outlast the current effort regardless of the mounting toll on its own economy and population.
© Copyright 2026 IBTimes AU. All rights reserved.


















