Sony Xperia XZ
Sony Xperia XZ smartphone is presented at the IFA Electronics show in Berlin, Germany, September 2, 2016. Reuters/Stefanie Loos

There are rumours that Sony may be replacing its Xperia Z6 with Xperia XZ. Sony announced its flagship phone during the IFA 2016 consumer electronics show. Consumers noted that the new device wasn’t named Xperia Z6 but Xperia XZ. During Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016, Sony did talk about concluding its Z-line and starting a new chapter with the X-series.

The new Sony Xperia XZ could well the Sony Xperia Z6 in disguise. The Xperia XZ sports a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor, 5.2-inch Full HD Display and a 3GB RAM. He design is sleek with more rounded edges than before. It uses Sony’s own ALKALEIDO metal back. Xperia XZ is IP68 water-resistant, much like Xperia Z5.

Also very much in line with Xperia X and Xperia Z5 series, Xperia XZ sports a 23MP rear and 13MP front camera and also supports 4K video recording. Mobile & Apps reports that Sony is making major improvements to the Xperia XZ camera and that includes laser auto-focus (launched on the X series earlier this year), better white balance control and 5-axis image stabilisation.

The laser auto-focus feature tracks movements and predicts them to ensure not a single moment is missed. The Sony Xperia XZ has a new camera layout on the rear, weighs 161 grams and measures 146 x 72 x 8.1mm. There is a 3.5mm headphone jack, built-in fingerprint sensor on board and USB Type-C technology.

The Xperia XZ comes equipped with a 2,900 mAh battery but with a special feature to stop quick draining. The phone learns its user’s charging routines and usage over time to stop pumping in power when charger is connected.

For example, if a user is in the habit of charging phone overnight and disconnecting the charger at 8am, the Sony Xperia XZ will charge only 90 percent during the night and the rest 10 percent when the user wakes up. The smartphone has the Xperia UI overlay on top and runs on Android Marshmallow.

The Sony Xperia XZ price has not been announced yet though the upgrades will be made available in October.