TikTok
TikTok, ByteDance to Pay $400 Million to Settle DOJ Lawsuit Over Children's Privacy Violations

WASHINGTON — TikTok and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, have agreed to pay $400 million to settle a federal lawsuit alleging the companies violated children's online privacy laws, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Friday, resolving litigation first filed under the Biden administration in 2024.

Under the terms of the settlement, TikTok will pay $300 million immediately, with an additional $100 million due once a court enters an order vacating a prior consent decree that had been issued against TikTok's predecessor company, Musical.ly, according to the Justice Department. The department described the resolution as one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a case brought under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, commonly known as COPPA.

Associate Attorney General Stanley E. Woodward Jr. characterized the settlement as a significant win for families navigating the platform. "This settlement is a major victory for American children and parents," Woodward said in a statement announcing the resolution. "The Department's priority is ensuring that children are protected online and that companies entrusted with their personal information meet their legal obligations. This resolution secures a substantial recovery while reinforcing the protections that families expect and deserve."

Assistant Attorney General Brett A. Shumate of the department's Civil Division similarly emphasized the legal obligations companies face when handling data belonging to young users. "Companies that collect children's personal information must comply with the law," Shumate said. "This resolution secures a significant monetary recovery and reflects the Department's commitment to ensuring children receive the full protections that Congress mandated." Shumate added that the settlement's most important outcome is the improved protection it delivers going forward, stating that "this settlement reflects substantial progress, secures a significant monetary recovery, and brings this matter to a successful conclusion."

The lawsuit, originally filed in 2024 under then-Attorney General Merrick Garland alongside the Federal Trade Commission, accused TikTok and ByteDance of violating a previous 2019 consent order in multiple ways. According to Axios, the government's complaint alleged the companies were "knowingly permitting children to create regular TikTok accounts and to create, view, and share short-form videos and messages with adults and others on the regular TikTok platform," in addition to unlawfully collecting and retaining children's email addresses and other personal information without appropriate parental consent.

The broader allegations focused specifically on TikTok's compliance with COPPA, a federal law requiring websites and online services directed at children to obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from users under age 13. According to PBS News, the lawsuit also alleged that TikTok and ByteDance failed to honor requests from parents seeking to have their children's accounts deleted, and in some cases declined to delete accounts even after the companies became aware those accounts belonged to children under 13.

As part of the settlement, TikTok will not admit wrongdoing, according to Axios, and the resolution avoids the need for further litigation of the underlying claims. The Justice Department noted that TikTok has undergone substantial changes since the lawsuit was first filed, including "significant changes to its ownership, management, compliance functions, and privacy practices." According to the department, those changes included implementing "extensive measures" aimed at strengthening safeguards for younger users, improving age-related account controls, and enhancing tools that allow parents greater oversight of their children's activity on the platform.

This is not TikTok's first encounter with COPPA enforcement. The company, then still closely tied to its Musical.ly predecessor, agreed to pay $5.7 million in 2019 to settle separate Federal Trade Commission allegations that it illegally collected images, voice recordings and geolocation data from children, some younger than 13, according to NBC News' reporting at the time. That earlier settlement was, at the time, described as the largest civil penalty the FTC had ever issued in a child privacy case, though it pales in comparison to the $400 million figure announced Friday.

Friday's settlement arrives amid a broader wave of legal scrutiny facing major social media platforms over children's safety and privacy practices. According to PBS News, Meta Platforms, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook, is currently on trial in federal court in Oakland, California, over separate allegations that it violated COPPA, part of what the outlet described as an "avalanche" of lawsuits targeting social media companies over child safety issues, occurring alongside a growing number of countries moving to restrict or ban young children and teenagers from using social media platforms altogether.

The settlement also comes against the backdrop of TikTok's significantly altered corporate ownership structure in the United States. According to Axios, TikTok had faced a federal divest-or-ban law that threatened to force its sale or removal from U.S. app stores, a mandate the Trump administration subsequently intervened to delay on multiple occasions. The precise current ownership arrangement governing TikTok's U.S. operations has continued to evolve amid that broader political and regulatory backdrop, even as Friday's privacy settlement was negotiated and finalized separately from those ownership-related national security discussions.

Since the original 2024 complaint was filed, the Justice Department noted that TikTok's operational and compliance changes have "materially advanced the public interests underlying the Department's litigation," a characterization suggesting federal officials view the settlement not merely as a financial penalty but as validation of concrete changes to how the platform now handles data belonging to its youngest users.

As part of the broader resolution, the vacating of the earlier Musical.ly consent decree, a condition tied to release of the second $100 million payment, will formally close out enforcement action stemming from TikTok's original 2019 predecessor-era privacy violations, consolidating years of overlapping federal scrutiny into a single, resolved matter. With the settlement finalized, attention within the broader technology and children's privacy advocacy community is likely to shift toward the ongoing Meta trial in California, seen by many observers as the next major test of how aggressively federal and state regulators intend to continue enforcing children's online privacy protections across the social media industry.