A Caltex sign is seen at a petrol station in Melbourne April 22, 2010. Caltex Australia Ltd, the country's largest refiner, said on Thursday its short-term refiner margin outlook remains challenging, however it was optimistic about its medium to long-term
A Caltex sign is seen at a petrol station in Melbourne April 22, 2010. Reuters/Mick Tsikas

A man in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty was caught on camera walking calmly into a petrol station with a metal rod protruding from his head. According to police, the 23-year-old man was assaulted in Katikati at around midnight onJan 16.

Katikati Caltex owner Lester Gray was incredulous when he saw the man with a rod lodged on his head and thought that he might be some part of a TV show, 3News reported. He said the man looked like a "Halloween stunt," but when he saw the person up close, Gray saw blood coming down from the side of his head.

Aside from the owner, staff and customers in the petrol station also noticed the man with a metal rod. Dylan Shea, one of the people who saw the strange sight, asked the man if there was a drumstick on his head. The man only replied, "Nah it's a rod." Shea thought he was lucky to have survived a rod stuck on his head.

Police said the man was reportedly attacked and punched in the head before he was hit with the steel rod. He said he was assaulted while his car was parked on a suburban street. Following the attack, the man was still capable of driving himself to the petrol station.

Gray believes the man may not have been aware that he was in pain. Shea was on the counter of the station when the man approached the staff to ask for help. The man had remarkably kept calm and requested the staff to call the police instead of the ambulance.

Meanwhile, the police revealed that the investigation on the assault case is in progress. The victim was recently identified as Adam Armitage. According to the police report, Armitage was approached by a woman and two men before he was hit in the head. He is currently in a stable condition and recovering in the Waikato Hospital. Doctors said he will be cleared to go home in the next few days.

To report problems or leave feedback, contact: r.su@ibtimes.com.au