A 24-year-old female manager of a cryotherapy salon in Las Vegas, the Rejuvenice, died last week inside a full-body cryotherapy machine. Shae-Lynn Bee, a friend of Chelsea Ake, the victim, said Ake forgot to turn off the machine before entering it. Employees of the salon found her body earlier this week.

The machine is the latest health and beauty enhancement trend in which the body is blasted with air as cold as minus 240 degrees Fahrenheit. It was developed to treat sore muscles but is also becoming popular as a weightloss 'tool', explains Gizmodo.

The machine is an alternative to cold water immersion or ice packs, and is said to reduce inflammation, slow aging symptoms and help heal sports injuries, but health experts say the treatment should only last for two to four minutes.

Investigators from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration believe that Ake was trapped inside the machine for at least 10 hours, news3lv reports.

While medical examiners say she died within seconds of entering the machine, it is unclear if she suffocated or suffered a medical emergency. An autopsy was done, but it will take six to eight weeks to get the lab test results.

“I do know that she was alone closing the shop up, and then did go into the machine and apparently did not turn off,” Bee shares. She adds that there is no CCTV inside the salon, so “basically, the only person that does know what happened is Chelsea.”

Bee and Ake are both from Hawaii. Bee traveled to the mainland to recover the corpse of her best friend.

Contact the writer at feedback@ibtimes.com.au or tell us what you think below