Luke Brooks involved in late night brawl, Wests Tigers star to be investigated by NRL

By @saihoops on
Wests Tigers official logo
Wests Tigers official logo Wests Tigers logo / Official website

Wests Tigers star halfback Luke Brooks was involved in a brawl in the early hours of Sunday morning outside of Balmain Workers Bar & Kitchen, according to several reports. The Tigers first released a statement that "a player had been involved in an incident" before Channel 9 confirmed that Brooks was the player in question. 

In recent weeks, the Tigers have been marred by controversy after controversy. Brooks' arrest could prove to be yet another off-field distraction ahead of the new season. The report added that Kyle Lovett was also involved in the altercation that brought both players on the street in a brawl that also involved one of Brooks' siblings.

As of this writing, there have been no allegations that either player threw any punches. The incident is being investigated by the National Rugby League's Integrity Unit. Neither player has been charged for the incident but could face suspension from the NRL for their conduct. 

As aptly described by Fox Sports, "the off-field drama comes at a bad time for the Tigers, with Brooks’ halves partner Mitchell Moses understood to be on the verge of a release so he can join Parramatta after signing with the Eels on a two-year deal, starting in 2018."

Police media released a statement on Sunday morning. "Police continue to make inquiries following a brawl in Balmain overnight. Emergency services were called to Darling Street about 12.30am [Sunday 14 May 2017], following reports of a brawl. Officers arrived and the groups were separated. Two men suffered minor facial injuries during the incident but did not require medical treatment.

"While police were making inquiries, another man arrived at the scene and became involved in a verbal argument with some of those involved in the earlier brawl. The 26-year-old man was arrested for breach of the peace and taken to Balmain Police Station, but he was later released."

Join the Discussion