Verizon takes over Yahoo
The logo of Verizon is seen at a retail store in San Diego, California April 21, 2016. Reuters/Mike Blake

Samsung intends to disable usage of remaining Galaxy Note 7 smartphones around the world as part of its security measures. In the US, the tech giant is set to roll out a software update that will eventually restrict Note 7 battery charging. But Verizon, one of the country’s biggest telecommunications companies, wants no part of Samsung’s plans.

Samsung officially announced that all actively used Galaxy Note 7 handsets in the US shall be restricted from any sort of battery charging. The company has previously launched similar battery-restricting schemes in other countries. Samsung wants to render the remaining Note 7 handsets useless due to their explosive potential.

More than 93 percent of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 units have been surrendered in the US. The South Korean electronics titan is hoping that the remaining 7 percent will be handed over once they become unusable.

“A software update will be released that will prevent US Galaxy Note 7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices.” announced Samsung. “If you have not yet returned your device, you should immediately power it down and contact your carrier to obtain a refund or exchange.”

READ: Samsung to render Galaxy Note 7 handsets in US and Europe useless

Samsung has reached out to its carrier partners for help in implementing the battery-restricting programme. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile and Sprint have all agreed to assist Samsung. All three wireless providers are set to launch the software updates in different dates: T-Mobile on December 27, AT&T on January 5 and Sprint on January 8.

Among the big telcos, only Verizon has refused to take part on the crippling of the Galaxy Note 7. The company reasoned out that the software update could pose as a potential risk to its customers.

“Verizon will not be taking part in this update because of the added risk this could pose to Galaxy Note 7 users that do not have another device to switch to,” said Verizon. “We will not push a software upgrade that will eliminate the ability for the Note 7 to work as a mobile device in the heart of the holiday travel season. We do not want to make it impossible to contact family, first responders or medical professionals in an emergency situation.”