Eleven month old pug 'Gucci' is pictured wearing miniature traditional Bavarian 'Lederhosen' during a visit with his owner to Munich's 177th Oktoberfest September 21, 2010. Reuters/Michaela Rehle

Egg, whose disappearance prompted a citywide search in Sydney, as been confirmed dead. Police say the pug’s body was “disposed of.”

The owner of the 14-week-old Egg has admitted that the pug had died. This comes just a day after the owner was charged with making a false report claiming that the pup was stolen by three thieves at knifepoint.

Egg’s death was confirmed by the police to AAP (via 9News) on Thursday. According to a New South Wales police spokeswoman, the pug was not stolen and died at his owner’s home. His “body was disposed of,” the spokeswoman added.

The cause of death has not been made clear, the police said. However, according to Yahoo 7, the pup choked on a dog treat.

Egg was first reported missing by his owner on Feb. 9. The owner said the pug had been snatched from him by three men armed with knives. The owner said he was walking the dog near Sydney Olympic Park when the incident occurred. The men ordered the owner to hand over his wallet and backpack, but also took away Egg.

A detailed description of the thieves was provided by the owner. The disappearance led to a citywide search of the pup, with the police asking anyone with any relevant information to come forward and assist.

"Following investigations, officers from Flemington Local Area Command issued the man a future court attendance notice for false representation resulting in police investigation,” NSW Police said in a statement. The owner will be appearing at the Burwood Local Court in April.

In January, an Australian man was set on fire following an argument over a dog. The 45-year-old man, who was in critical condition, sustained serious burns in Wollongong, south of Sydney. Another woman sustained injuries while trying to extinguish the fire. She was transported to the Wollongong hospital in stable condition.

The attacker poured a flammable liquid on the victim before setting the fire. The incident is being believed to be a “neighbour dispute.”

One witness described the scene. "It's pretty bad, it's pretty stuffed up. It's scary," she told the ABC. "I stayed inside. It's too scary to come out when there's an argument."