samsung galaxy note 7 supply
The logo of Samsung Electronics is seen at its headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, July 4, 2016. Reuters/Kim Hong-Ji

Samsung Electronics has suspended the global supply and delivery of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones following several fire incidents that involved replacement devices distributed in the United States.

Citing a source within Samsung, Yonhap News Agency said the South Korean smartphone maker has decided to halt production in cooperation with consumer safety regulators from South Korea, the United States and China.

Samsung Electronics would not confirm the reports but a leaked memo from Samsung to Australian telecom provider Telstra confirmed the news.

“Samsung has temporarily paused the supply of new Galaxy Note7 smartphones following a reported incident in a replacement phone in the US,” the leaked memo, obtained by The Verge, reads.

“Samsung is confident in the replacement Note7 and says they have no reason to believe it’s not safe. We’ll let you know the status of your replacement Note7 as soon as we have more information.”

Sale of Galaxy Note 7 resumed early October across the globe after Samsung started late September the replacement of devices that shipped with defective batteries with a new one. However, several customers reported their replacement units have caught fire despite the Samsung Note 7 Exchange program. (Read: Samsung resumes Galaxy Note 7 sale, customers seek damages for burns on crotch, legs)

At least 2.5 million units of Galaxy Note 7 devices were reportedly sold since the Aug. 11 launch of Samsung’s flagship phone. In Australia, at least 51,060 units of Galaxy Note 7 were sold. The device retailed at $1,349 a piece.

Samsung ordered a global recall of the devices and offered customers the option to get a replacement unit or refund the cost of the iris-scanning Android mobile phone.

Replacement devices were delivered since Sep. 21 but customers still reported about overheating batteries with their replacement Note 7 devices. (Read:
Samsung customers complain on overheating batteries of Galaxy Note 7 replacement devices)

Galaxy Note 7 devices ship with a 3500mAh battery, which was the cause of the global recall. Roughly 65 percent of the batteries of the Samsung flagship phone were manufactured by Samsung SDI Co., a sister company of Seoul-based smartphone maker. The remaining 35 percent were made by Hong Kong-based Amperex Technology Ltd.