iPhone 7
Members of the media film the new iPhone 7 at an Apple store in Beijing, China, September 16, 2016. Reuters/Thomas Peter

A pregnant Sydney woman has suffered second-degree burns after falling asleep on her charging iPhone 7.

"I recently purchased an Apple iPhone 7 and accidentally fell asleep with my arm on my phone whilst it was charging. I was woken up by sudden pain, pins and needles, numbness and shortness of breath," read the post on the Sydney woman Melanie Tan Pelaez's Facebook.

Pelaez said that the Facebook message was shared to warn her family and friends. However, the post has been shared more than 450 times and she did not expect it to go viral.

“I went to get dressed and realised my arm was very red, so I then went to the GP and they advised me I needed to go straight to the hospital,” Pelaez told news.com.au. The hospital emergency department ran tests on her heart and blood.

The doctor informed Pelaez that she has been burnt by a foreign object and instructed her to check around her bed to see what could be the cause of the injury. Pelaez said that she believed that her iPhone 7 was to blame. She said that the markings on her arm matched the phone and the charger.

Pelaez immediately took the phone into the Apple Store but she was informed that the phone couldn't be the cause of the burnt as it didn't have a distinct smell. She returned the phone to the store and provided some details about the incident. However, she needed to wait for several days before getting a response from the company that the phone was flown to the US for testing.

The pregnant woman has been offered a new iPhone 7 from Apple but she declined the offer. She is still paying for the phone under her mobile plan. She could not cancel the plan in her telecommunications provider Optus until it received the phone.