For Valentine’s month, Netflix Australia has several romantic titles for those who plan to binge-watch the night away. Here are the top five love movies that you should not miss, whether with a partner or by your fabulous lonesome.
1. Serendipity. The 2001 film focuses on being destined to love the same person, despite initially being in unlikely circumstances. Jonathan (John Cusack) and Sara (Kate Beckinsale) had love at first sight, although they were dating other people at the time. They decided to leave things to fate but ultimately went out to look for each other after a few years
2. Notting Hill. Based on a list by Paste Magazine, the 1999 romantic comedy showcases how love can blossom between a princess and a pauper. Anna (Julia Roberts) is a Hollywood star who meets William (Hugh Grant) by accident. The two develop a bond, although it took some time for the latter to realize that Anna was world-famous. They fall in love and try to deal with the challenges that come with dating a superstar. In the end, Anna tells Will that she is only just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.
3. Shakespeare in Love. According to Film School Rejects, the 1998 film is currently available on Netflix’s February 2017 list. The story is about a young William Shakespeare (Joseph Fiennes) who is going broke and running out of ideas, but meets his ideal woman, Viola (Gwyneth Paltrow). She inspires him to write one of his best plays, but their forbidden love cannot last forever. “Shakespeare in Love” runs for 124 minutes,
4. Bridget Jones’s Diary. The 2001 film centers on Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) who keeps a diary where she shares all her pains, insecurities and heartaches. She falls in love with Daniel (Hugh Grant), and eventually Mark (Colin Firth). She almost loses Mark after he discovered her diary and all the mean things she wrote about him. In the end, he buys her a new diary to start fresh and they kiss.
5. Hitch. The 2005 romantic comedy features the love doctor Alex (Will Smith) who tries to help his top client Kevin (Albert Brennamen) get a chance to date a celebrity. In the meantime, Alex is surprised that his expert love methods do not work on Sara (Eva Mendes) and eventually falls in love with her.
Netflix and chill? Netflix Australia has several other romantic comedies available in its February 2017 list. More updates and details are expected soon.