Osama’s ‘Messenger’ Accuses Saudi Royal Family Of Planning 9/11 Attack, Further Investigation Suggested

By @snksounak on
RTR4NJ7X
Saudi Arabia's Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef (L) arrives with his uncle King Salman (R) to greet U.S. President Barack Obama at King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, January 27, 2015. King Salman's appointment of his nephew Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, 55, as Deputy Crown Prince makes him 2nd in the line of succession and he becomes the first grandson of the kingdom's founding monarch to take an established place in the line of succession. Picture taken January 27, 2015. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

Convicted extremist Zacarias Moussaoui has claimed that the royal family of Saudi Arabia was involved in the planning of the 9/11 attack. According to the 9/11 Commission's report in 2004, there was no evidence that the Saudi government had funded al Qaeda.

Moussaoui, who is also known as the 20th 9/11 hijacker, has alleged that the Saudi royal family had supported al Qaeda. The fresh allegations against Saudi Arabia come in a sworn statement contained in a brief submitted on Tuesday. It is a part of an on-going civil case by the families of 9/11 victims. Moussaoui pleaded guilty to six terror-related charges in 2005.

Moussaoui earlier claimed that he attended a meeting at the Saudi Embassy and discussed a terror attack on Air Force One. He has been in the U.S. custody for over 13 years. He has accused several high profile people including Prince Turki al-Faisal Al Saud of being involved in the 9/11 attack. Al Saud is the former director-general of Saudi Arabia's Foreign Intelligence Service and ambassador to the United States. According to CNN, the claims by the French terrorist cannot be independently confirmed.

The Saudi Embassy in Washington previously reacted to the allegations. It issued a statement to make note of the fact that Moussaoui’s lawyers presented evidence that he was mentally incompetent. “His words have no credibility,” the statement said, "(Moussaoui's) goal in making these statements only serves to get attention for himself and try to do what he could not do through acts of terrorism -- to undermine Saudi-U.S. relations."

Moussaoui’s fresh allegations in the sworn statements taken in October 2014 include his claim that he had acted as the messenger of Osama bin Laden to hand-deliver letters to and from the Saudi royal family. He claimed that he had been welcomed by the family “extremely well.” He also claimed that he had been provided private jets, limousines and other luxury expenses. He accused the Saudi Embassy in Islamabad of “bribing” him by giving him travel expenses.

Tuesday's court filing included statements by former Sens. Bob Graham and Bob Kerrey as well as former Secretary of the Navy John Lehman. Even though the three members of the 9/11 Commission do not agree with Moussaoui on his allegations, they said that there should be further investigation to determine if Saudi government had been involved in the terror attack.

Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au