An 18-year-old from Queensland has been accused for his alleged involvement in a tennis match-fixing incident in Traralgon in October.
The accused has been charged with conduct that corrupts a betting outcome. Detectives from the Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit (SIIU) launched an investigation into the matter. They were helped by bookmakers.
According to AAP, the police have not specified which tournament was affected by the match-fixing incident. The Latrobe City Traralgon ATP Challenger, with a prize money of $68,500, took place in late October.
On Thursday, Assistant Commissioner Neil Paterson said in a statement that match-fixing “is one of the fastest growing organised crime types across the world at the present time.”
As reported by The Advertiser, he also said the integrity of sport “remains a critical focus of the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit through the targeting of match fixers and those who corrupt betting outcomes.”
The accused is scheduled to make an appearance at the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court on March 2.
The accused was handed the charges in the wake of former professional tennis player Nick Lindahl avoiding jail term for his involved in match-fixing and concealing evidence earlier this year. In 2013, the tennis player approached his opponent, Andrew Corbitt, and offered to lose the match for $500.
Lindahl was sentenced to a maximum of two years in prison. However, he was given a 12 month good behaviour bond in addition to being imposed with a $1,000 fine.